Last year, a number of folks enjoyed the visualization I put together showing the performance—across several statistics—of the NCAA basketball tournament teams. With the tournament around the corner, I decided to see if my old code still worked, and it did. I’ve thus re-scraped, re-calculated, and re-plotted all of the data for the 2014 season. The visualization—best viewed on a desktop—follows the jump. I have not had the opportunity to double-check the work closely, so please report any issues or anomalies in the comments or shoot me a note.
Data and Source Code
All data were collected by me by scraping the NCAA website. The resulting data file(s) may be obtained here. The code for that scraper may be obtained here. All analysis was done in R, using Hadley Wickham’s excellent ggplot2 package. A copy of that code is available here, and a walk-through the process may be found in this previous post. Please note that a small set of statistics (e.g., free throw percentage, opponent points average) for a handful of teams (e.g., Creighton and North Carolina) are incorrect on the NCAA website and were recalculated in R.
The tournament team averages were calculated before the play-in games were played, so it does not include those games. Only teams that were slotted into the bracket on Selection Sunday are included.