Assistant Professor, UMass Amherst
I am an Assistant Professor in the Journalism Department at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. My research and teaching interests lie at the intersection of journalism and technology, with a focus on the reconfiguration of journalism in a changing media environment and the development of digital research methods for social scientists.
My research has been published in leading peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, the Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Digital Journalism, and The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. I am a recipient of AEJMC's Nafziger-White-Salwen Dissertation Award, and was a finalist for the ICA Gene Burd Dissertation Award and Digital Journalism's Article Of The Year award. I am an affiliate faculty member of UMass' Computational Social Science Institute.
My teaching includes both conceptually-oriented and skills-oriented courses, ranging from a broad overview of journalism to data-oriented journalistic practices. I am currently teaching or have previously taught Data-Driven Storytelling, Introduction to Journalism, International Journalism, Introduction to Visual Storytelling, and Information for Mass Communication. I was a Lilly Teaching Fellow and have been a finalist for the University of Massachusetts' Distinguished Teaching Award and a nominee for the SBS Outstanding Teaching Award.
I hold a Ph.D. in Mass Communication from the University of Minnesota, an M.S. in Mass Communication from Florida International University, and a B.A. in Journalism from the University of Minnesota.
Recent Scholarly Work
- Zamith, R. (2019). Algorithms and journalism. In H. Örnebring, Y.Y. Chan, M. Carlson, S. Craft, M. Karlsson, H. Sjøvaag & H. Wasserman (Eds.), Oxford Encyclopedia of Journalism Studies. Oxford: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190228613.013.779
- Zamith, R. (2019). Transparency, interactivity, diversity, and information provenance in everyday data journalism. Digital Journalism. Advance Online Publication, 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/21670811.2018.1554409
- Zamith, R. & Braun, J. A. (2019). Technology and journalism. In T.P. Vos, F. Hanusch, M. Geertsema-Sligh, A. Sehl & D. Dimitrakopoulou (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Journalism Studies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118841570.iejs0040
- Zamith, R. (2018). Innovation in Content Analysis: Freezing the flow of liquid news. In S.A. Eldridge II & B. Franklin (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Developments in Digital Journalism Studies. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Zamith, R. (2018). Quantified Audiences in News Production: A Synthesis and Research Agenda. Digital Journalism, 6(4), 418–435. https://doi.org/10.1080/21670811.2018.1444999
Upcoming Travel and Presentations
- June 12-14, 2019: Worldviews Conference in Toronto, Canada
- June 17-20, 2019: Professional and Peripheral News Workers and Shifting Importance of Platforms in Volda, Norway